Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ethiopian Coffee 4 - 1 Coin Noir Mitsamiouli (agg 4 - 2)

Ethiopian Coffee
Ethiopian league champions, Ethiopian Coffee thrashed the visitors Coin Noir Mitsamiouli of the Comoros 4-1 in the second leg preliminary match of Orange CAF Champions League held on Sunday at the Addis Ababa stadium. The home side turned it round after losing the first leg 1-0 at the hands of Coin Noir Mitsamiouli  two weeks ago.  Ethiopian Coffee moves into the next round on a 4-2 aggregate score .
 Coffee believed the 1-0 deficit was reversible and started out the match with that intention clear from their play. It wasn’t until the 28th minute that Coffee got the opener through Medhane Tadesse. The home side expected more goals but they did not come. With a minute to go before half time the visitors stunned the home side and the crowd by scoring the equaliser through striker Nazakali Issa. The teams went into the break with score line at  1-1.

It looked an uphill battle  for Coffee as they needed two more goals to gain an aggregate win. In the second half Coffee’s coach Wubetu Abate made a substitution bringing in striker Tafesse Tesfaye. Tesfaye’s inclusion sharpened the home side’s attack and in the  75th  minute  Coffee got another goal when Daniel Deribe found the net  after collecting an inviting ball from the substitute.   Coffee went in search of the all-important goal third goal  to see them  through. The third goal did come courtesy of  Tesfaye a few minutes later .

Ethiopian Coffee were not done though and two minutes from full time  Tadesse scored the fourth goal to make the final result 4-1 and the hosts were in the next round of the competition. Double scorer Medhane Tadesse  said after the match; “When they scored  the equaliser at the end  of the first half it was very frustrating but in the second half we were determined to score early . We however could not do so because we were too eager to score. When we scored the 2nd goal, it was a breaking point but we managed to add two more goals to go through. I am very happy that my goals greatly contributed to win over our opponents,” Tadesse said.
 Coffee Coach Wubetu Abate said afterwards, “Our fans were restless until we scored the second goal because they were very worried when they equalised. In the end  we are successful because of  the great effort from the  players,” the coach said .  Coin Noir Mitsamiouli’s coach  Abdallah Ahamada, admitted that Coffee played well. “We played to our level best and gave Coffee a hard game in their backyard for 80th minutes. We were not able to sustain that for the remaining 10 minutes and that was very costly for us,” he concluded.

St. George 4 - 0 AS Mangasport (agg 5 - 0)

 The Ethiopian St. George side trounced AS Mangasport of Gabon 4-0 on Saturday in the second leg preliminary match of Orange CAF Confederation Cup at the Addis Ababa Stadium. For St. George victory marked second consecutive win in the CAF Confederation Cup. With the aggregate 5-0 win St. George advance to the next stage.
 The home side scored the first goal from Adane Girma after 10 minutes as St. George made the chances of a revival from AS Mangasport extremely difficult. Two minutes later it got worse for the visiting team when once again Girma found the net for his and the team’s second goal. St George’s goalkeeper Robert Odongkata made a spectacular save to deny As Mangasport from a scoring opportunity in the 30th minute. The score remained 2-0 at the interval.
 The second half saw St George continue their dominance and in the 55th minute the cross bar saved As Mangasport from going further behind. A few minutes late goal number three for the hosts went in after Yared Tbebu curled in a left footer in the 57th minute.
 Midway through the second half the Gabonese side stepped up their play and made some dangerous moves with attempts on St. George goal and the host had goalkeeper to thank for thwarting the threats from the Gabonese. With about a minute remaining from full time Adane Girma completed his hat-trick to seal the 4-0 win.
 “First I am happy that we won comfortably and second I am very much delighted because I scored a hat trick,” Adane Girma said after the game. “Now we have to prepare to upset our next opponent, the Tunisian side”, he added.
St. George assistant coach Fasil Tekalign also expressed happiness with the result. “This will surely inspire us for our next international match. With good display of football we clinched a very convincing victory,” the assistant coach said.


No comments:

Post a Comment